Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New Apple iPod products out, but where's my 32/64 gig nano?

Ah Apple, how you wound me. So often you give me what I need (let's see, I own, or have owned, six- maybe seven - iPod variants over the years). And what I need now is a small, flash based MP3 player. I just love my 16 gig nano, but it's out of room. I had waited with bated breath for today's iPod rollout, expecting to see a new 32 gig (and maybe even a 64 gig) nano. And instead you just cram new features into the same old shell. A (video) camera, a larger screen, fm support (and recording) are all neat, but you could have just left those areas for the Touch (which is the bells and whistles model anyway). What I need is a single purpose device (mp3 player) that is super small, with enough flash based storage for all my content and a reasonable battery life. 32 gigs will do for my music, but now that I'm using Audible (after they finally upped their audio quality to the "enhanced" – which for me means tolerable – audio format) I need 64. I'll keep an eye out for the rest of the day. Maybe more models are yet to be announced? Hope, hope, hope…